Sunday, June 17, 2012

Everything will be okay...

Yesterday was a really rough day. Malaika, little Hellen, Scola, little Neema, and I went to the bus station in town to buy our tickets to go to Rombo to see Dorisi kubwa and Hellen kati kati (older Dorisi/middle Hellen we have two girls named Dorisi and three girls named Hellen) We rode in a dala dala bus which is a bus where they squeeze as many people as they can into this little buses and they are very cheap to ride. So we are in this bus and after about an hour or so, we arrived in Rombo. Hellen Kati kati and Dorisi Kubwa go to nursing school in Rombo and they were so excited that we were coming to visit because they haven't seen me or the rest of their family (the other orphans) in months. When we arrived, we found out that Hellen was extremely sick and we went to the hospital where we found her in tears and in so much pain. She has stomach ulcers and malaria-- all I could think about what how much pain I was in when I was sick with stomach problems in 7th grade and I had the best medicine available, a nice bed, air conditioning, hot baths, and popsicles-- this poor girl had nothing :( I brought Hellen and Dorisi new clothes, movies, shoes, toiletries, and blankets. I also brought Hellen a laptop which she had told me she was in dire need of--- this laptop was donated by the Dougan family who I babysit for and adore. They have been so amazing in making clothing and toy donations and have helped the children out immensely-- if you guys are reading this, THANK YOU SO MUCH. we had some lunch and walked around for a little and tried to distract her but nothing was helping so we took her back to the hospital where she was then admitted and given an I.V. drip. After spending all day at the hospital, we walked back to find another bus to take us back to Moshi. I swear that this bus stopped every 3 or 4 minutes on the way home. It was beyond aggravating and took about 2 hours to get home. When we finally got back home at around 5:00, Malaika went to the coffee shop to do some work she needed to finish and the children and I went to rest. We had been home for 5 minutes when Mama came into my room panicking and asking what was wrong with Duy and why he wasn't answering his phone. I tried calling 4 times but there was no response. Mama called a few more people and found out that Duy, Jordan, Rachelle, the professor, and 7 of the orphans got in a terrible accident and were in the hospital. My eyes suddenly filled with tears and I got the biggest pit in my stomach. We called Paul to pick us up and Mama and I rushed to the hospital. When we got there, everyone looked pretty banged up and exhausted. Jonas, George, Joseph, Amani, Ogdon, Dominique, and Baracka were all there. I tried to hold my tears back and stay positive for the children but seeing them in pain broke me to pieces inside. Baracka and Amani were all cut up and covered in dirt. They were outside laying on a blanket waiting to have x-rays taken. I sat with them and held their hands and comforted them. They were driving back from the new orphanage site after dropping some supplies off and they were driving a pick up truck. The professor is a close family friend of Mama and lives with us at the orphanage-- he got his degree from an American college and is a college professor here in Tanzania. He is brilliant and has been a HUGE reason we have gotten so far on the new building. Anyways, Professor and 5 of the children were sitting in the bed of the truck on the drive home and the car hit a huge pot hole and flipped over twice. the children and professor were all ejected and Duy went through the windshield. Professor broke his arm in 4 places and is having surgery today. Duy and Rachelle got a bunch of stitches and the rest of the kids were just really banged up. The doctor said it was a miracle that everyone survived the accident....The entire group of mafundi (construction workers) from the new orphanage came to make sure everyone was okay, which was so sweet of them. Jospeh and Baracka and the Professor stayed the night in the hospital and Malaika took the other children home with Musa and got them cleaned up, fed them, and put on a movie for them. I stayed with Mama and the other kids at the hospital and helped with the medicine and the bill. while we were SO happy that everyone was okay, it is really hard to look at the bright side when you are in Mama's shoes and are facing a $500 bill... we live day to day here in Tanzania and this is an outrageous amount of money for us. Duy and I helped with the bill and we were able to come up with the rest of the money we needed. I went back to the house and got the kids ready for bed. When I arrived at the house, Malaika had given all the kids food and they were all sitting on the couch and floor gathered around her laptop watching the movie "Matilda". I went to eat dinner at the kitchen table which is right next to where the kids were all sitting-- I stared at the kids for a few minutes and couldn't help but smile, which was weird because I had been so sad all day. When I looked at these kids, I saw my future in front of me. A few days ago, Malaika asked me if I could see myself settling down here.. like for real-- kids, family and everything. I thought about it for a second that day and told her that I definitely feel that this is where I belong but I am not sure because I haven't met my husband and don't know if he wants to run an orphanage with me or have his own kids etc. But then last night, when I was staring at the kids as they giggled and comforted each other, I looked at Malaika and said, "Yes, I could settle down here, because those kids right there, as i pointed to them, are all i have ever wanted and nothing would make me happier than to have them as my family". I know my parents want me to eventually come back to America and live there but last night was an evening of clarity for me at how an accident can potentially shatter your world in the blink of an eye and while I knew the kids were important to me, last night showed me JUST HOW IMPORTANT they are to me and how they have become such a huge part of who I am and who I want to be. We had the kids who were in the accident sleep with us in our rooms incase they had any nightmares or were in pain. I know that everyone will be okay, it was just so scary... I felt like their mom.. or big sister, or something. I have never been so worried before and truly felt connected to these kids and to Mama and shared their pain with them-- as Mama told me the other day, "Neema, we are a family... you hurt, and we hurt" so I guess that works the other way around too... they hurt, and I hurt for them. Back at the house, Dominique was so happy to see Pendo. When we tucked him into his mosquito net, he asked me if Pendo could sleep with him. She cuddled up next to him and he was so happy. I woke up around 7am this morning and took Pendo outside. Once everyone woke up around 8am, Malaika and I cleaned everyone's cuts and wounds up again and gave them medicine. Everyone slept well was feeling okay. I gave the kids who were in the accident their first choice of teddy bears which were donated by a little girl in Austin named Ally. I had been waiting to give them to the kids this weekend when they were all home from school, but the opportunity definitely presented itself this morning when I knew they were in need of something to squeeze and love. They were so excited to have the new animal. Josephine left this morning to go to Rombo to be with Hellen and make sure that she is doing okay in the hospital. Duy, Malaika and I just went to the hospital to see professor and the kids-- some of the workers spent the night there with professor and the kids, which was such a blessing to us. I brought teddy bears for Joseph and Baracka. Joseph was really tired but Baracka lit up when I gave him the bear. I sat on his bed and he looked at me with his bright eyes and said in the sweetest voice "Hi Neema" as he smiled with his busted up lip... I was so happy to see him smile. Malaika and I left the hospital and came to Union which is a restaurant/coffee shop to do some work and to write this blog. I have pictures of the kids and their bears which i will post later. EVERYONE IS FINE AND SAFE AND WILL BE HOME BY TONIGHT..... but in the meantime, please keep them all in your thoughts and prayers.

here are pictures of the kids and professor so you can put a face with the name 





2 comments:

  1. Our thoughts are with you and your Tanzanian family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy - I'm so sorry to hear about the accident. My heart and prayers go out to you and all your loved ones there.
    Love seeing all the photos. Their beautiful spirits shine through in each photo!

    ReplyDelete