Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Sun. The Moon. And The Stars.

If I ever feel lonely during the day or at night, I am able to find peace laying in the sun or under the stars looking at the moon. This summer, me and the orphans were outside playing and the sun was shining bright and was so so beautiful... I remember the kids asking me if America looked anything like Africa. I told them that the two places were very different because they were so far away from each other. They asked how far. I told them 8000 miles. One of the kids asked me how I will remember them when I am that far away... And I told them this

"whenever you feel lonely or miss me or wonder if I am missing you, look at the sun or at the moon.... The sun that lights up your world is the same sun that lights mine 8000 miles away. And the stars and the moon are also the same in Africa and in America... So whenever you feel alone, just look up at the sun, the stars and the moon and think of me... That's where I'll always be.. Until I return back here to you. And I promise you that even if I leave for a while, I will always come back... Always"

Ever since then, I have found such comfort in nature and especially in the sun, the stars, and the moon because I feel like that Is the one place the children and I can share even though we are on opposite sides of the world. I am looking at the moon now and I can't help but smile.

1 comment:

  1. Mandy,

    I saw your post on facebook about your blog, and I started reading today. This particular post brought tears to my eyes--what a wonderful thing to say to a group of children. I can't wait to read about your journey in Tanzania this summer!

    Cara

    ReplyDelete